Friday, August 18, 2006

I seek refuge in the Buddha

/

I was walking back to the office, rain just stopped falling I was all wet and the heat had started to hit once again. An old man asked me for a minute of my time. He wanted to know if I had some work for him to do because he was diabetic and needed daily shots of insuline. I saw an ulcer under her tongue and he was missing his right feet toes. I hadn’t a single dollar on myself, and he told me the ampule cost was $15. I was going to dismiss him, the heat was so high, I just wanted to go into the office and cool off. And cool of, this old man was walking with helpers, if he hadn’t money for his medicine probably would have less for himself. I told him to wait for me at the entrance of the WTC. Tooked some money from the ATM and offered to him. His eyes were shinning when he saw the bill. I feel awkward, I knew the correct would be stay with him for a while, chat with him and help him to feel better. I couldn’t, I gave him a smile and a pat in the back, this was just one man, and like him, there should be a lot, that thought saddened me, my eyes became tearful while I got back to my office wondering who would be going to help him tomorrow, or the day after. I feel powerless, I look at the veiled smile of Chenrezig looking me with compassion from my desktop. So many questions.

No comments: