Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today's 22-jan-2009

Today’s taxi driver was an old man, in his late 70’s probably…came from Costa Rica to work picking up potatoes at 6 colons, less than a dollar he said in that time…he was complainning panamenians aren’t more entrepreneur-like, he spoke of his beginnings, going from picking potatoes, to picking cans to washing cars and from there to work at the Panama Canal, he proudly showed me a social security card, he was retired and he had living a good life, he had 5 children, all professionals now, he lived in a second category neighbourhood and he still picks some cans from time to time to “keep in shape” not for the money…he lectured me on why I must stick to women of ill repute instead of bedding neighbours, “They will ask for money everytime” he said…which is true I must say…while he kept on describing some more x-rated content about his exploits at The Phoenix and the Blue grotto before finally changing the topic to politics…Varela and Martinelli, “Martinelli would solve the crime problem” he stated…I asked why, “He’s a militar, he studied in Cuba” I made a mental note to research that..as we got closer to my destination he said Torrijos had to take a military course because he hadn’t any education on that and he wouldn’t be part of the coup if he hadn’t…I couldn’t ask further, we reached the office. I say goodbye, “Have a good day son” he said…

No comments: